Four apartments for refugees provided by the EU and UNHCR


Chisinau, Moldova, 23rd March (UNHCR)- the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees provided today four apartments to the local authorities from Mereni, Anenii Noi district, which were rebuilt in order to host refugees, in the framework of the Local Integration Program cofunded by EU/UNHCR.

The event was attended by the Deputy Prime Minister of Moldova Mihai Moldovanu and the Minister of Labour, Social Protection and Family, Valentina Buliga, with the EU Ambassador Dirk Schubel. The Mayor of Mereni, Eugen Salcutan and the Deputy Director of the Bureau of Migration, Head af Refugee Directorate, Ecaterina Silvestru.

“Whithout the enthusiastic support of mayors and councils from Mereni and Rezeni villages, which offered to UNHCR the dilapidated buildings to be renovated into apartments, this housing pilot project wasn’t possible to realize” said Mr. Peter Kessler, UNHCR Representative.

Four Refugee families from Russia, Armenia, Palestine and Sudan received the symbolic keys from the rebuilt apartments, located near the capital city Chisinau.
The refugees which will receive the new apartments have been carefully selected by a team composed of representatives from Refugee Directorate, Bureau of Migration and Asylum, UNHCR and NGOs partners. The selected refugees have skill that could benefit to their host communities in the future . 
According to an agreement signed with the local authorities, the beneficiaries will take care of the maintenance of the suites and will be responsible for the payment of the utilities but they will be exempted from payment rent for a period of five years. After five years they are supposed to buy their own apartments, so that the renewed apartments by UNHCR will be given to other refugees in need of shelter.
“UNHCR is grateful to the European Union for their support and hopes that in the future, the government will be able to offer more assistance to refugees to help them integrate here, in Moldova” said the UNHCR Representative, Mr. Kessler.
The EU contributed with 80% from the total amount of 554,963 financed for the LIP, and the other 20% were provided by UNHCR. The LIP with a period of two years and provided for Moldova aims to improve the integration prospects for refugees in Moldova according to the obligations under the Refugee Convention of 1951.

Patru apartamente pentru refugiaţi transmise de către UE şi UNHCR

CHIŞINĂU, Moldova, 23 martie (UNHCR) – Înaltul Comisariat al Naţiunilor Unite pentru Refugiaţi (UNHCR) a transmis astăzi patru apartamente autorităţilor locale din Mereni, raionul Anenii Noi, care au fost reconstruite pentru a găzdui refugiaţii, în cadrul Proiectului de Integrare Locală co-finanţat de UE/UNHCR.  
La eveniment au participat Vice-prim-ministrul Republicii Moldova Mihai Moldovanu şi Ministrul Muncii, Protecţiei Sociale şi Familiei Valentina Buliga, împreună cu Ambasadorul UE Dirk SchubelPrimarul satului MereniEugen Salcuţan şi Directorul adjunct al Biroului Migraţie şi AzilDirectorul Direcţiei Refugiaţi, în cadrul MAI, Ecaterina Silvestru.
Fără suportul entiziastic al primarilor şi consiliilor din satele Mereni şi Răzeni, care au oferit clădirile ruinate UNHCR, pentru a fi renovate în apartamente, acest proiect pilot privind locuinţele, nu ar fi fost posibil de realizat,” a spus dl Peter KesslerReprezentantul UNHCR.
Patru familii refugiate din Rusia, Armenia, Palestina şi Sudan au primit cheile simbolice de la apartamentele reconstruite în Mereni, localitate situată în apropiere de capitala Chişinău. 
Refugiaţii care vor primi apartamente noi au fost selectaţi minuţios de către o echipă multifuncţională, formată din reprezentanţi aDirecţiei Refugiaţi, Biroul Migraţie şi Azil, UNHCR si ONG-uri partenereRefugiaţii selectaţi dispun de aptitudini de care ar putea beneficia pe viitor comunităţile lor gazdă.
Conform unui acord semnat cu autorităţile locale, beneficiarii de apartamente vor avea grija de întreţinerea apartamentelor, şi vor fi responsabili pentru plata serviciilor comunale, însă vor fi scutiţi de plata chiriei pe o perioadă de cinci aniDupă cinci ani se presupune că ei îşi vor cumpăra apartamentele proprii, astfel încît apartamentele renovate de UNHCR, să fie date altor refugiaţi ce au nevoie de adăpost.  
UNHCR este recunoscător Uniunii Europene pentru susţinere şi speră că guvernul va fi disponibil să ofere pe viitor mai multă asistenţă pentru refugiaţi pentru a-i ajuta să se integreze aici în Moldova,” a declarat Reprezentantul UNHCR Kessler.
Uniunea Europeană a contribuit cu 80 procente finanţare din suma totală de 554,963 a Proiectului de Integrare Locală, iar restul 20 procente, au fost oferite de UNHCR. Proiectul de Integrare locală cu o durată de doi ani şi prevăzut pentru Republica Moldova are drept scop îmbunătăţirea perspectivelor de integrare a refugiaţilor în Republica Moldova conform obligaţiilor în cadrul Convenţiei prinvind statutul refugiaţilor din 1951.